Photo Drawing on Paper
In this tutorial, we'll learn to take a photograph and convert it into an artistic looking paper sketch drawing. The nice thing about this tutorial is that all you need is the photograph, there is no need to download any paper textures as they are already in Photoshop for you to use. This is also great to use with people's portraits.
1. Create a new document in Photoshop. Choose dimensions based on what the size of the photograph will be.
2. Goto Layer > New Fill Layer > Pattern.
3. Click OK when the "New Layer" pop-up appears.
4. Click on the Pattern icon and select "Buff Textured" (if the Buff Textured pattern isn't visible, click the arrow in the top right of the pop-up and choose "Color Paper" from the pop-up list.
5. Right click the new Pattern Fill layer from the Layers Palette and choose "Rasterize Layer".
6. Goto Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation. Move the saturation slider to the left to decrease intensity of the colored paper.
7. Your canvas texture should now look similar to the image below:
8. Copy and paste your photograph onto a new layer.
9. Goto Image > Adjustments > Desaturate.
10. Create a duplicate layer of the photograph.
11. Goto Image > Adjustments > Invert.
12. Right click the new duplicate layer from the Layers Palette. Select "Color Dodge".
13. The photo will turn all white. This is ok. Proceed to step 14.
14. Goto Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur.
15. Adjust the Radius slider until you get the desired drawing effect.
16. Your image should now look something like the following:
17. Select both photograph layers from the Layers Palette and click CTRL + E to merge them.
18. Right click the new merged layer and select "Multiply" from the pop-up list.
19. The white background will be removed and should now look like a transparent drawing over the paper texture.
20. Goto Image > Adjustments > Color Balance.
21. Adjust the color sliders to more closely match the ink color you want on the paper.
22. Goto Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast.
23. Adjust the brightness and contrast sliders to darken the ink.
24. When you are done, you will have your completed drawing on paper!
Copyright 2009 © - Photoshop Manipulation - Photo to Artistic Drawing | Change a photograph into a sketch